Drop Status

Students who do not satisfy the terms of their probation, or who meet other drop rules of the University, are subject to being dropped.  The relevant portion of the Student Code states that a student is subject to drop action under any of the following conditions:

  1. Failure to earn at least a GPA of 1.0 in any semester (not including summer session).
  2. Failure to meet the assigned probation level if the cumulative GPA is below 2.0.
  3. Failure to make satisfactory progress toward a degree*.
  4. Failure to meet departmental GPA requirements.

*Satisfactory academic progress is defined by the Student Code and The Grainger College of Engineering as progressing towards fulfilling the graduation requirements of your degree in the Grainger College of Engineering within a reasonable number of semesters with a minimum academic performance. A student whose progress is unsatisfactory is subject to being dropped from the University. Examples of unsatisfactory progress include, but are not limited to:

  • Failure to complete a required course with acceptable academic performance after multiple attempts;
  • Failure to pass any courses required in the curriculum being pursued in a given semester;
  • Failure to attain or maintain specific requirements in the curriculum being pursued (e.g., technical GPA requirements).

Drop rules may be waived in individual cases by the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs.  This normally happens only when there is a good reason to believe that the student can be successful if he or she continues with classwork at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus. 

Advice -  Students who feel that they are in danger of being dropped should discuss their situation with an advisor in their major department before the end of the semester. 

Readmission after Drop Status or Withdrawal

Students who have been dropped once by The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Grainger College of Engineering can apply for readmission, usually after being away from the University for at least one year.  Students who have been dropped twice may not apply for readmission.  Students who have withdrawn from the University will either submit a letter of intent to resume studies or apply for readmission, depending on how many semesters they are away.